Monday, January 24, 2011

Squash courting

I know this doesn't look quite so lovely as it tasted--but I promise that this was a great second try at the recipe! Again, it was about using what I had left over: so, rice and mushrooms from fajitas the week before, a squash that had been sitting in my fridge since....early December?... and a few other staples. The only special purchase was the bacon--2 pieces, applewood smoked and specially from the local market.


Here, instead of stuffing a pumpkin with bread crumbs, I stuffed a kabocha squash with rice.... and a mixture of spinach, onions, mushrooms, bacon, and gouda, topped with half&half. This was a lovely warm meal, with plenty of leftovers, and I paired it with a few other courses: brie and jam on black pepper crackers, potato-onion soup, and a sparkly vinho verde.

All on a Monday/date night. I'd recommend it hands down, except for the part where your whole apartment smells like bacon...

But wait! There's more! I finished it off with a special dessert, one which also made an appearance at the Charity Auction coffee stand: coffee-spice shortbread with candied ginger!

No comments:

Post a Comment